Pop quiz time: what do Tekkaman Blade, Gundam 00, and Battle Angel Alita have in common?
They’re all anime that have space elevators and orbital rings. A space elevator is exactly what it sounds like; a tower that goes all the way from the ground up into geosynchronous orbit, so that you can get things into space on an elevator (or a vertically oriented train) instead of launching rockets. An orbital ring is a structure that goes all the way around the planet’s equator connecting several space elevators.
(Well, the Orbital Ring in Tekkaman actually isn’t as far from the Earth as one should be.)
Continue reading Science of Anime: Space Elevators
“Favorite mech anime”
I like mecha. I’m even writing a novel with anime-style mecha in it. I already said Gurren Lagann was my favorite anime, so to avoid repeating myself, I’ll name something else:
My second favorite super robot anime that I’ve seen is G Gundam. Gundam is known for pioneering the ‘real robot’ genre, but when they made a super robot series, the result was so hammy and so cheesy that it belonged between two slices of bread, and it was awesome either despite or because of that depending on your point of view. My favorite really traditional/classic super robot anime is UFO Robot Grendizer.
My favorite real robot anime is probably also a Gundam series. I think I like SEED a little better than 00. I think SEED gets some undeserved hate from English speaking Gundam fans because it gets lumped together with SEED Destiny, which had some problems due to constant changes during productions.
“Best anime villain”
Ali Al-Saachez, from Gundam 00. There’s no one else that I love to hate more than him. Feats include:
1. Brainwashes child soldiers (including a certain future Gundam Meister) with stuff he doesn’t even believe himself.
2. Also responsible for the attack that killed the family of
one two other Gundam meisters.
3. More or less intentionally creating a “she knows too much” situation so he has an excuse to kill a reporter (who’s the sister of another major character).
4. Killing one of the Trinity brothers and hijacking a Gundam.
5. Making you feel sorry for the Trinity siblings, who are pretty bad themselves.
6. Using said stolen Gundam to kill two Gundam pilots, including one of the main four.
Runners-up include Johan Leibert (Monster), Makoto Shishio (Rurouni Kenshin), and Vamdemon/Myotismon (Digimon Adventure).