So far, anyway.
10. Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels and Dragons, “Kindan no Resistance” by Nana Mizuki
Having the same director as Gundam SEED extended into having a very similar style of opening.
9. Macross Delta, “Ichido dake no Koi nara” by Walküre
Is it just me or does modern Macross look more similar to Sakura Wars than to classic Macross?
8. Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector, “Shooting Star Lovers” by JAM Project
They used “Maxon” for 23 episodes and then this for only the last 3, so I almost forgot this existed.
It must be hard to make openings for series with such huge casts, but not bothering to have any one opening show everyone is probably better than the mess that is the visuals of Dragon Ball Super’s opening. (Of course Kyosuke, Excellen, and Alfimi are in all of them.)
7. Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid, “Overdrive” by Hitomi Harada
I assume the Barbie anatomy is because they didn’t want TV censors to touch the OP.
6. Mazinkaiser SKL, “The Eternal Soldiers” by Loudness
5. Kill la Kill, “ambiguous” by GARNiDELiA
This opening to the series that answered a question no one ever asked (“What do you get when you cross Cutie Honey, Gurren Lagann, and Sonic Adventure 2?”) doesn’t rely too heavily on the cliches you probably wouldn’t be surprised to see.
4. Yurikuma Arashi, “Ano Mori de Matteru” by Bonjour Suzuki
Surprisingly the OP doesn’t touch on the underlying theme about labels, but it does make it clear that the show has exactly what the title implies.
If you watch this in any place where it would be remotely possible, someone will walk in right at the part with the honey.
3. One Punch Man, “The Hero!! ~Ikareru Ken ni Honō o Tsukeru~” by JAM Project
“Set fire to the furious fist” indeed.
2. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans, “Raise Your Flag” by Man With a Mission
I don’t like having those FUNimation logos, but I’d rather use the official video when one exists.
1. Sailor Moon Crystal, “Moon Pride” by Momoiro Clover Z
I’m convinced that Japan just has some kind of obscure law that you can’t put “Z” at the end of your name unless you’re awesome. Momoiro Clover Z are certainly no exception, and it was through this song that I learned about them. This is quite possibly the most energetic OP to a magical girl series ever.