Or “the rise of the series that change OPs really often and artists fond of caps lock”.
10. Gurren Lagann, “Sorairo Days” by Nakagawa Shouko
I love the way the third opening actually uses the later part of the song.
Incidentally, it just edged out the opening for New Getter Robo. Even on this list Gurren Lagann overshadows what it homages.
9. Bleach, “Shoujo S” by SCANDAL
Out of Bleach’s many excellent openings this was always the one that stood out the most to me.
8. Code Geass, “Kaidoku Funou” by Jinn
7. Strawberry Panic, “Kuchibiru Daydream” by Misato Aki
6. Onegai Twins, “Second Flight” by KOTOKO
5. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, “Again” by YUI
This is on just about every list like this, and there’s a reason for that.
4. Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, “Sore ga, Ai Deshou” by Mikuni Shimokawa
30% of the series on this list have at least one out of “full metal” and “panic”.
3. S-CRY-ed, “Reckless Fire” by Yasuaki Ide
The ultimate in evolving openings, it was rarely ever exactly the same. The most prominent difference went with which of the song’s three verses was used (so that’s where Gurren Lagann got it from) and which character was the focus in that episode.
2. Mazinkaiser, “Fire Wars” by JAM Project
There’s just something about the combination of such a hot-blooded song with such artistic visuals that conveys “epic” in a way that not much else can.
1. Naruto, “Go!!!” by FLOW
The three exclamation points are very well deserved. I still remember how blown away I was the first time I saw this one.