Even though I think pointing out bad ideas is pretty important, I don’t want to be known only for what I don’t like. So since my last post was critical of a popular YA book, I thought I give some examples of ones that I do like. This list is by no means intended to be complete or even particularly comprehensive.
- Harry Potter series – I don’t really need to explain this one, do I? It’s only the most successful series of books in any genre in my lifetime. The series matures as Harry does (and as the original readers did), so it qualifies as both children’s and young adult, but any of the books are good reading for anyone of any age.
- The Hunger Games trilogy – The most popular of the many YA dystopias out there, this is another one that I expect most people have heard of.
- His Dark Materials trilogy – Three of my personal favorites. And unpredictable for anyone who reads it spoiler-free.
- Mortal Instruments series – One of the best urban fantasies out there.
- Leviathan trilogy – Now these books are pure awesomeness. In an alternate history World War I, the two sides are the Darwinists, who use specially engineered animals, and the Clankers, who use steampunk walking machines. It could run on rule of cool alone, but it doesn’t need to because it’s actually good.